Select Page

Using the Cell Fracture Addon to Destroy Statues

Getting Started

A few weeks back, I tried my hand at creating desert dunes out of a plane. As part of that same project, this week I’m using the cell fracture addon to destroy some statues. I started off with a couple of characters created in MakeHuman. A couple people on mentioned that MakeHuman hadn’t been updated in a while, or wasn’t being actively developed. Regardless, the version I used was super easy to generate a couple of characters to use for statue destruction.

Exporting to Blender

Once you’ve got everything how you want it with your character, it’s time to export. Going from MakeHuman to Blender used to be difficult and require a special plugin and weird file extensions. Now, you can just kick out a simple .DAE file and drop it straight into Blender.

Using the Cell Fracture Addon

Once in Blender, I posed the characters exactly how I wanted them. Once I got the pose, I applied the armature. In edit mode, I separated the parts of the mesh I wanted to fracture. I didn’t want the whole thing, just bits like the hand and shoulders. Next, I fractured using a small number of pieces, around 50. I had to mess with the level of subdivisions and number of pieces to avoid weirdness in complex areas like hands and fingers.

Animating vs Simulating

Typically, I’d simulate the pieces after they’re generated. But for this effect, I wanted a surreal, hyper slow-mo look. For this, I just hand animated the pieces I wanted to break away.

Check out more articles

First Open Source Contribution

Surprise! I genuinely did not plan on making my first ever open source contribution today. In fact, I didn't plan on a lot of things happening this week at all. I recently got an awesome opportunity to work on a site that is being hosted on a platform called Pantheon,...

How to Exclude Specific Posts and Pages from WP_QUERY

For the sake of having something to work with, let's suppose we've got the following query:In this query, inside the $args array, there's a special parameter that allows you to exclude specific posts and pages from the query. This parameter is called post__not_in and...

Configure SSH For Password-less Connections

Preamble I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this, but it was a long time before I figured out how amazing this little file is and how exactly to put it to good use. The file I'm talking about is the SSH config file. By default, when you first connect to a server via...

WordPress Site Stuck in Maintenance Mode

Plugin Error Code 500 During Update While I was updating a WordPress plugin locally, something happened on my local server to trigger a 500 error code as the plugin was updating. On the frontend, I refreshed the page and was greeted with "Briefly Unavailable for...

Creating a WordPress Plugin Downloader

How it Started I was recently tasked with the challenge of creating a WordPress theme generator. The idea being, instead of writing your style.css file from scratch, you'd be able to just answer a few simple questions about how you'd like your theme set up, and those...

Fix Audio on XFCE Chromebook

The Problem After moving from GalliumOS to Xubuntu, I noticed that playing YouTube videos on both Firefox and Chromium would result in decent playback for a few minutes, but suddenly the audio would turn into a solid beeping tone while the YouTube video displayed the...

Adjust Trackpad Sensitivity XFCE

xinput set-prop "Elan Touchpad" "Synaptics Finger" 1 1 1 What are the values 1 1 1? This sets the sensitivity as close to the original ChromeOS as possible. Larger numbers will decrease sensitivity of various aspects. I never looked into which individual value...

Fireworks (Short Film) About the film Year: 2020 Director/DP: Tim Searfoss Writers: Matt Jones, Tim Searfoss Sound Mix: Matt Jones

Hosting Multiple Sites Using LocalWP

I've done a write-up on hosting local WordPress sites before, but I definitely prefer this method over the previous one. If you've never tried hosting multiple sites using LocalWP, then I'd encourage you to check it out. I've had really bad issues with it in the past,...

How To Load Javascript in WordPress

Doing things the WordPressy Way Yes, technically it's possible to just drop scripts into template files, but it's not the correct method to use on WordPress sites. WordPress is pretty particular on how it handles JS. Register Scripts via functions.php Just a heads up,...